Thursday, September 3, 2009

What Matters to Jeremy


The four things that matter the most in my life are my family, friends, faith, and basketball. Family because they take care of me and love, friends because I don’t think I could get through one day without them, my faith because it is very important to me and it will never change, and basketball because it is my one and only sport now.

My family is very fun and exciting. I have two older brothers; Brandon who is 17 and Nathan who is 20 and a dog named Shadow. My parents, Patti and Eric have been married for 24 years. Brandon is the funniest person I have met in my life and is a very talented guitar player and musician all around. Nathan and I are most alike though. He is the more athletic type. He is also extremely intelligent; he attends the Colorado School of Mines and got a 3.8gpa last semester. He wants a career in mechanical engineering. My dad works for Collect America, but I have no idea what he actually does. He is also a part of a travel website and is hoping to get money from that so he can retire. My mom is a barista at my old school/ church’s coffee shop called Wild Blue. She is a very fun and loving person.

Everyone talks about the importance of friends but I didn’t actually realize their true importance till this year in high school. I see people all the time that look lonely and I always make it my goal to say hi to them or make them smile or anything to make them feel a little better. I realize that friends can fill a whole that you didn’t even know was there. I am sure you have heard that every little thing you can do for someone can make a big difference, and well really believe that little things do go a long way. Friends are always there when I am having a bad day and need to laugh or think about something other than how bad my day is, or anything negative and I like to think I am always right there for them. Which is one thing that my faith is based upon.

My principal at my middle school, Cherry Hills Christian Middle School, told me that he isn’t a Christian. I was confused to, he says he isn’t a Christian; he is a follower of Christ. It took me a long time to understand this but now that I understand I completely agree. I don’t agree or believe everything the Christian religion says, but I do agree and believe with everything that Christ says. No, being Christian isn’t always easy, it is easier to go along with the crowd, but we must make the decisions we know are right for ourselves and be tell people that we don’t think they are making good decisions. My favorite teacher so far was Mr. Anderson in fifth grade, he taught me to believe and not be told what to believe. I believe doesn’t mean what my parents or friends believe, it is what I believe. Mr. Anderson didn’t teach me about God, he taught me about myself. “I am not a Christian; I am a follower of Christ.”

I love basketball. I love everything about it, and it has always been my favorite sport. I am a point guard or a shooting guard, but I rather shooting guard. My favorite part about basketball is the teamwork that goes into a team. Every team I have ever been on I have been great friends with every player. I also love the intensity that goes on during the game. I am a very competitive person by nature and I hate losing. To me getting blown out by the other team is the worst feeling in the world. If it is a close game and the dice didn’t fall our way I am okay with that, but getting blown out I just cant handle. On the other hand winning is the best feeling in the world, I always feel “complete” after a good intense game of basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment